Clos Fourtet, known previously as Chateau Clos Fourtet, is a winery located in the Right Bank of the Bordeaux wine region. It was built in the Middle Ages as a defensive port and is situated opposite the main entrance of the old town of St Emilion. The cultivation of grapevines started with the efforts of Leon-Rulleau in the mid 18th century, who then passed the estate on to his nephew Elie Rulleau who had the present chateau built. The name of the estate was changed to Cos Fourtet in 1868 by the Rulleau family. Fernand Ginestet acquired the estate in 1919 and in 1949 was then sold by his son Pierre and bought by Francois Lurton. At present, the estate is owned by Philippe Cuvelier. The vineyard extends to 19 hectares with grape varieties being 85% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Cabernet Franc. Annually 5,000 cases of the Grand Vin are produced and of the second wine, usually 2,500 cases.