Chateau La Mission Haut Brion
The estate of La Mission Haut Brion has a long and varied history being founded by the congregation of the Mission in the 17th century. As a result of the French Revolution the estate was stripped of its role from the church and sold to a private buyer. The Woltner family acquired La Mission Haut Brion in 1919. It was the late Frederic and his son Henri who were responsible for the upward trend of La Mission Haut Brion's wine quality that at times surpassed the First Growths of the Medoc and neighbouring Haut Brion which had been rivals for years. Since 1983 they have been under the same umbrella in both administration and ownership of the Dillon family. The vineyard extends to nearly 21 hectares between the parts in Pessac and Leognan. The grape varieties are 48% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Merlot and 7% Cabernet Franc. The annual red production of La Mission Haut Brion averages 6,000-7,000 cases. Other wines produced are: La Mission Haut Brion Blanc and the second wine La Chapelle de La Mission Haut Brion.